Sunday, January 5, 2014

Day 3 & 4

Buenos dias! I'm sitting here typing this post this morning from the comfort of our home office sipping my coffee in my PJ's. I've got my Pandora (Jack Johnson's Banana Pancakes station) playing while I sit next to the window with a snowy view outside. Although I'm tired of winter already, I don't mind snow when I can stay home and look at it.

Moving on........

We're getting in a pretty good rhythm  in our home on this 21DSD. Despite feelings of "hangriness" yesterday afternoon, everything is going OK. I'm starting to get proud of my "food prep" skills so we have plenty of things on hand ready to grab in an instant. Friday nights dinner of the beef lettuce wraps was a success (I'll post a picture later in this post). So, let's back up to Saturday (Day 3).

Day 3:

I had a hair apt in the morning. I prepped my usual 2 eggs with a slice of bacon and spinach, which I added a little extra to this batch. I grabbed my homemade latte, an apple to snack on in case of emergency, some almonds, and out the door I went. My husband was still in bed when I left so he was on his own for breakfast. I also took plenty of water along. I'm learning that as long as I keep on top of water intake my cravings are in better control.

I grabbed an early lunch before I went to a 60 minute massage (this pampering doesn't happen every Saturday, don't worry.) Lunch was a salad with 2 hard boiled eggs, 2-3 baked chicken breast strips I had already prepped, and some EVOO/balsamic dressing. There may have been an avocado on there but I can't recall. I devoured my salad and went straight to my 60 minute massage, which by the way was DIVINE. 

We were due for a Costco trip, so that was the next stop after the massage. Perhaps I should have gone to Costco before the massage as the store was the busiest I had ever seen it in the 4 years we have been members. Anyways, I stocked up on veggies, eggs (yes, all 32 of them), steaks, some more ground bison (which is what I actually used in the lettuce wraps vs beef the previous night), quinoa with brown rice, almonds and pecans, spices, sparking lime water, along with other home essentials. Phew! Several dollars later I was out the door.

One of the toughest parts about day 3 was going over to a friends loft for the Chiefs/Colts playoff game and not being able to indulge in a nice craft beer. It's not that we wanted to party. I just simply miss the taste of a good Belgian style beer. I digress. Oh, and cheese dip and chips were also going around. Our friends wanted us to go out to BBQ after the game. We were tempted to go but, as we looked online at the menu we quickly discovered that there was literally NOTHING we could have ordered at this place. So, we went home to have more lettuce wraps since it was too cold and snowing in KC to grill our steaks.

We devoured our lettuce wraps again along with 1/2 cup of the quinoa/brown rice blend from Costco. It was filling. I topped off my evening with some "sleepy time tea" and was plenty ready for bed.

Ground buffalo lettuce wraps with cilantro, lime, purple cabbage, and avocado.


Side note: I had bought some lentils this past week. It seemed like a good purchase as it was on the list of foods we could eat. The only problem was that I wasn't quite sure what to do with them. Since my oldest sister gave up meat in all of 2013 I figured she'd have a good lentil recipe. Not to mention, she also has a cooking blog with amazing recipes that you can fine here --->  http://www.willmakeagain.com/ . She had recommended John and I try this recipe ----> http://www.willmakeagain.com/2012/12/favorite-lentil-soup.html . So, that recipe is today's mission, along with some more Coconut Flour Banana Bread.

Since the soup calls for chicken stock, I am faced with the challenge of making my own. You are not allowed to use any store bought chicken or vegetable broth. We went to the market last night and bought a whole chicken (3.2lbs). Not to mention this chicken is a local, free range chicken from Lathrop, MO. My clever mom gave me the idea to put the chicken in the crock pot over night. GENIUS! I cleaned the little bird, dropped it in the crock pot, seasoned it with pepper, Mrs. Dash (keeping an eye on sodium consumption), parsley, and covered it with water. When we went to bed we turned the crock pot on low and away she went. When I got up this morning I took the bird out of the crock pot, but not without it falling to a million pieces because it was so tender. SUCCESS! Thanks, Mom!
Ready to cook.
Day 4:

This is the plan of events for today.

  • Brunch I can hear bacon sizzling as I type this. John is making our usual bacon, eggs, and spinach this morning. I've had my morning coffee and am feeling motivated for the day!!
  • Snacks with consist of the usual.....hard boiled eggs, green apple, or yogurt.
  • I plan to make the lentil soup recipe from my sister: http://www.willmakeagain.com/2012/12/favorite-lentil-soup.html
  • I also plan to make some more banana bread. I have to hurry before my bananas are no long "green-tipped".
  • If our snowy parking lot has been plowed we'll probably make our way to the gym later today. If not, then we'll have to improvise for a living room workout.
Happy Sunday everyone!





No comments:

Post a Comment